According to a notification by Ministry of Environment, metallic lead in household and decorative paint exceeding 90 parts per million is hereby prohibited. The Ministry of Forest, Environment and Climate Change in India, issued the draft Gazette Notification on 8th April, 2016, of certain rules to regulate the manufacture, trade, use, import and export of lead contents in household and decorative paints.
Bureau of India Standards (BIS) shall be the nodal agency for the purposes of these rules and shall implement the provisions of these rules. These rules may be called the Regulation on Lead contents in Household and Decorative Paints Rules, 2016.
Presently there is not mandatory regulation to limit the use of lead in paint. The notification comes after persistent campaigns by consumer organisations and environmentalists as Lead is a major health hazard. Lead poisoning may lead to genetic disorder, anaemia, learning disability, joint paint, and a host of other ailments. In most countries their are strict regulations to curb the use of lead in paint.
The following conditions shall be applicable namely:
- The manufacturer or importer of the product shall label its product stating that the lead content does not exceed 90ppm and such labelling shall be durable and legible
- The labelling shall contain the name of the manufacturer and the importer
- The stipulations regarding the content of lead shall apply to paints manufactured on and from the date of coming into force of these rules
- Every manufacturer or importer of product shall have a valid certificate of approval of the nodal agency for the manufacture of the product in India or for being imported into India
- Every manufacturer or importer shall submit a schedule for drawing samples by the nodal agency by 31st March every year for subjecting its product for verification for conformity with the provision of rule 2.
Any person or organization desirous of making any suggestion or objection respect of the present draft rules may forward the same by writing by mail or fax for consideration of the central government within sixty days to W. Bharat Singh, Joint Director, Ministry of Environment.
Also Read: [link_post id=”3022″]
7 Replies to “Ministry of environment issues draft notification to check lead in household and decorative paint”
Dear lifestyletodaynews.com owner, Keep sharing your knowledge!
Hello lifestyletodaynews.com admin, You always provide great examples and real-world applications, thank you for your valuable contributions.
To the lifestyletodaynews.com administrator, Your posts are always a great source of knowledge.
Hello lifestyletodaynews.com administrator, Thanks for the well-researched and well-written post!
Dear lifestyletodaynews.com admin, You always provide great examples and case studies.
Hello lifestyletodaynews.com admin, Your posts are always well thought out.
To the lifestyletodaynews.com admin, Nice post!